Some interesting statistics that have been published concerning low back pain:
• 80% of people aged between 20 and 50 will experience an episode of low back pain,
• 80% of these will recover after approximately 6 weeks while 20% will go on to develop chronic low back pain,
• 80% of those who recover within 6 weeks will experience another episode of low back pain within 12 months,
• after the second episode of pain, that person is more likely to experience more frequent and more severe exacerbations of pain with time,
• research has demonstrated that correct and effective retraining of the deep stabilising muscles following an episode of low back pain, compared to patients rehabilitated with standard exercise programmes, decreases the chance of recurrence of low back pain within a 2 year period by more than 13 times.